Call to Order–7:30 pm
Bonus Item Six – Public Safety
- Major Peter Ries introduced himself
- He is the new Zone Commander for Zone 6
- Grant Park will have an assigned supervisor to attend each GPNA meeting to help address neighbor concerns
- Contact information – email: email@example.com; phone: 404-561-2776.
- Question from member about how to enforce large trucks on Boulevard. Major Ries says to call 911, and he’s noted this to communicate to the state department.
- Question from member about horse patrol not using the poop bags and desire for the poop to be cleaned up. Major Ries will bring that concern to the appropriate people.
- Question about a police report and long wait time for an investigator response.
- Approval of the February 2020 minutes
- No objections
- Vote by the body through Zoom
- Minutes are approved
- Public Official Update: Mitsah Henry spoke for Commissioner Arrington; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; ○ phone: 404.613.0203.
- Meeting announcement: 9/16 at 10:00am Board of Commissioners meeting via Youtube, Fulton Government TV
- Fulton County government has partnered with Goodwill with North Georgia & Metro Atlanta Chamber
- See https://fultoncountyga.gov/ covid 19 tab for information
- Neighbor voiced concern about voting & requested more voting drop box locations
Nominations for GPNA Steering & Committees:
- Nomination Form will be open until the end of the GPNA October General Body Meeting
- Atlanta Preservation Center Request for Funds
- David Y. Mitchell, executive director of Atlanta Preservation Center
- Asking for donation from GPNA of $1500 to continue their advocacy work
- Advocacy includes Ormewood Bridge, Glenwood Castle, service to entire city
- Question about where money will go. Answer: advocacy work like research (paying for scans of records) and briefs (paying someone to review reports)
- Motion brought forward to approve $1500 donation to the Atlanta Preservation Center
- Motion passes with 16 votes out of 28 members present
- Idea brought for to ask for objections
Item One – Bylaws Committee Update
- Bylaws Committee proposed changes have been emailed and posted on the GPNA website
- Audra Cunningham asked body to review the changes before the next meeting
- Vote to approve proposed changes will be held at the GPNA October General Body Meeting
Item Two – Land Use & Zoning and Transportation
- New LUZ Procedural Rules Proposed
- 460 Connally St SE Variance Update [V-20-65] – Application Deferred by BZA to November. Asked applicant to come through NPU-W.
- 993-1007 Boulevard SE Zoning Update [Z-20-49]. Townhomes proposed rezoning by Johnson Bazzel. Skylar Hassan, LUZ chair, will invite neighbors to an ‘immediate neighbors meeting’ for feedback.
- Cherokee Ave SE Resurfacing Update – Construction begins within a few weeks. Resurfacing from Memorial to Mead. Adding a bike lane. Removing parking on the parkside – hope that people will use Gateway parking. Timeline 3-4 weeks from 9/14/20. Neighbor comment about signs for no parking from Sept 21-Oct 12. Note that it seems like a very long period of time. Concern for people who don’t have driveways or off-street parking. Skylar Hassan will try to reach someone from the city. Concern about impact on businesses at Cherokee & Glenwood. Question about how the bike lanes will look from city survey – paint or planters or reflectors? Suggested to post this on website. Link shared in chat: www.atlantaga.gov/home/showdocument?id=47291.
- United Ave SE Beltline Bridge Update: The community meetings for the final bridge design have not been scheduled, but that is forthcoming. Temporary pre-fab bridge will be set up in the meantime. Newsletter – Contact email@example.com to subscribe. Sign up for this newsletter with updates about LUZ. LUZ meetings have been moved to 4th Thursday of the month; however, Nov & Dec. are 3rd Thursday of the month at 7pm.
Item Three – Homes & History Committee
- Historic designation maps were shown.
- Map 1: Local Historic District & Map 2: State & National Register District.
- Paul Simo reminds body that anything facing the street has to go through Atlanta Urban Design Commission(AUDC)/Historic Preservation(HPS) Studio. Simo presented 472 Broyles will be going to AUDC/HPS for a new build and shared the house plans. These plans will go to AUDC at 4:00pm on 9/23/20.
Item Four – Technology
- Stephanie Warner reminded to members to update their GPNA profile on the website and update their email and address.
Item Five – Economic Development
- Grant Park Merchandise – HATS and Sunbursts
- Order hats and sunbursts on website, and they’ll be delivered
- 575 Boulevard SE with Jeff Wilson; 1920 Methodist church. Would like to be rezoned. Why they want to rezone: initially accepted no patio seating or outdoor dining, but there are lots of outdoor spaces and tenants are interested in outdoor options. Question about outdoor dining – Wilson says thay there are ideas about making a cafe patio area in the plaza, potentially a balcony over parking, apron deck around west & north façade. Jeff will come back through GPNA as they go through the process. Any questions for 575 Boulevard SE (LLC) you can call Jeff Wilson (mgr) at 770-231-9832 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Porch Press reminder from Robert Sarwark, Grant Park Editor: There will notes information about voting in recent issue of The Porch Press. Question about parking lot across from the Zoo/Grant Park Gateway Project. Concern about fenced off sidewalk. Desire for an update and some real information. Audra Cunningham is setting up a meeting with Rob Pitts.
- Question about Monroe/Boulevard Complete Streets effort. No funding yet for south Boulevard (Memorial Drive to the penitentiary).
Adjournment – 8:30pm
GPNA Officers and Steering Committee – Online Directory
Visit www.gpna.org/calendar for committee meetings and Zoom links
Laura Keen – President
Audra Cunningham – Vice President
Catherine Manci – Secretary
Michelle Botwinick – Treasurer
Eliza Adams – Fundraising Chair
Skyler Hassan – Land Use, Zoning, and Transportation Chair
Samantha McKinlay – Economic Development Chair
Chris Newman – Public Safety Committee Chair
Paul Simo – Homes & History Committee Chair
Stephanie Taylor Warner – Technology & Communications Chair