Meeting started at 7:30pm.
Councilmember Bahktiari’s office – Patrick Husbands (email@example.com, cell 404.330.6048): Update regarding homeless camp at former Long John Silver’s site (450 Moreland Avenue). The city is currently working to clean up and re-house homeless residents. The CM’s office is has not yet taken a position on repurposing the AMC facility for diversion however there is a moratorium in place regarding development of the site.
Councilmember Jason Winston’ office- Michael Mulmer (firstname.lastname@example.org, Office 404.330.6039, Cell 770.689.7810: Update provided on Red’s Farm. The city is currently performing due diligence activities and coordinating with the City Parks department about future use and urban farming. Residents expressed a desire to have input on the terms of the conservation easement to help shape how the property can serve the neighborhood. A time and format for that input was not available. The CM’s office has also not yet taken a position on repurposing the AMC facility for diversion however there is a moratorium in place regarding development of the site. Update on movies in the park. Discussions about sidewalks and the schedule tree removal and stump removal for trees in the right of way at the same time from last month is still underway with city departments.
Atlanta Police Department – Lt Mercado and Seargent Williams email@example.com, 470.985.9092: Homelessness is a major issue for many crimes including theft, damage to property, and harassment in the zone. Please contact SGT. Williams with concerns if 911 does not seem to be responding. A discussion took place regarding the use of a private home for a party that was advertised on Eventbrite. The implementation of regulations such as business licenses, alcohol permits, parking and noise were all discussed with the homeowner, attending neighbors and the APD. Suggestions for alternate venues for the homeowner’s charity fundraiser were also discussed.
- Elections are coming! Please let leadership know if you are interested in information about any of the positions in SAND leadership or becoming a candidate!
- SMAWG update. Four Hawk signals for pedestrian crossing have been approved!
- The Benteen Park Fall Festival is on for October 28th. The festival organizers updated the body on fundraising and event status. Don’t forget to sign up on the volunteer page!
- The Church of Atlanta Lighthouse food bank in Benteen Park is operating 4 times a month.
Matters for Voting
- V-23-119 878 Woodland Avenue – Motion from LUZ committee “to approve conditional on notice provided to immediate neighbors” was deferred by thee applicant to make revisions on September 14th, 2023. Motion to defer was passed no objections.
- Asbury Park – Bo Johnson – Presented a proposed project on McDonough Boulevard to the south of SAND and NPU-W. The project is seeking a letter of support to Invest Atlanta. Motion from LUZ committee to “recommend NPU leadership write a letter in support of the project as proposed.” (see power point on SAND drive) Motion passed no objections.
Minutes from the August meeting were approved with no objections.
The next SAND meeting will be October 12, 2023 with format to be online only.