Zone 6 report Officer Carter
12% drop in overall crime in the zone 6; six car burglaries in the last 28 days; no commercial break-ins; concerns from the membership about speeding traffic on Moreland, notice has been sent to the traffic unit and they are working on getting speed scanners in the area.
Land Use and Zoning
V-15-367- 915 Woodland Avenue SE Contractor (?) on behalf of the applicant.
- Variance to extend the back of the home 27’.
- Variance will not exceed the existing non-conforming plane.
- Reduce the front set back from 7ft to 3ft; neighbor support.
- Motion to recommend to variance: no objections; passes unanimously.
Public Safety Rod Ronall (sp?)
Safe routes to school: GDOT (via federal gov’t) funds will grant the community up to $500,000 for improvements to existing infrastructure to provide safer routes for students; proposed route starts at elementary school on Cherokee through the park, exit park at Boulevard and Confederate, continue to Ormewood to Woodland to Moreland.
Schools Melissa Hugh-Girdhari
- MLK Day of Service Maynard Jackson high School Rooftop garden- Saturday, January 16 from 9:00am to 12:00pm. Call for volunteers to help expand the sire for “Garden to Cafeteria.”
- Go Team (local school governance)- call for volunteers from local community to participate in school governance such as budgeting, decisions on how school s are run, etc.; sign up at atlantapublicschool.us.
Transportation Bob Titus
Berne Street repaving is on the bond list for the city; Moreland/Glenwood Avenue realignment to begin within the next year, no plans for traffic redirect at this time
- Treasurer nomination: Ann (?), motion passes unanimously.
- Previous treasurer will provide current months report at next meeting.
- Social events committee chair nomination: Hannah Thompson, motion passes unanimously.
- Beautification committee chair nomination: Dan Murphy, motion passes unanimously.
- Atlanta is rewriting land use and zoning code- additional information can be found on zoningatl.com, public meetings will continue in April.
- Seeking volunteers to be representatives from all SAND neighborhoods- BOHO, Ormewood Park, Woodland Hills, McDonough-Guice, Glenwood Park, Benteen Park.
- Ormewood Park Presbyterian church on Delaware and Woodland is closing on April 3rd. Greater Atlanta Presbytery (PCUSA) will be looking for community input on the future use of the property by that date. Coming soon, surveys will be available online and paper surveys available in the free little libraries around the community.
Memorial Drive Corridor Update Greg Guiffrida, Memorial Drive Corridor Executive
- Finalizing a new traffic study through GDOT to test design ideas for Memorial Drive, ideas include the elimination of the reversible lane, addition of turning lanes and medians as a way to slow traffic.
- Membership inquired into discussions regarding the proposed street car and bike route for Memorial Drive. Woodland Avenue is being considered as a proposed alternative bike route; multiple considerations are being made for the street car addition. Information regarding the developments on Memorial Avenue can be found on MemorialdriveATL.com. Sign up for email updates or hardcopies as necessary.
- Leggett and Platt site is under contract by Fuqua. Fuqua is seeking rezoning for a mixed use development. It is suggested that SAND wait until site plans are submitted before making a determination on our position and role.
Beltline Subcommittee update Brandon Tidwell, Cahir of NPU W
- CSX acquisition of route south of Glenwood Avenue is still pending.
- Beltline Committee signed off on letter of recommendation to GDOT to consider additional safety measures at intersection of Bill Kennedy Way and the I-20 off ramp. GDOT responded and will investigate further.
- A chang.org petition was created to support Reynoldstown position regarding the restoration of the street grid as part of the 28 acre Fuqua development at the Leggett and Platt site. Reinstating the street grid would ensure that blocks would be reusable should a major business need to close.
Special Prosecutor UpdateKeith Lamar, Assistant Prosecutor (?)
- Updated membership on upcoming court cases in which the community is invited to attend. The Court Watch Coordinator, Daniel Simpson, will update on times and dates.
- District Attorney will hold a public press conference on January 13 at 10:00am at the Baptist Church at 550 Lindsey Street to address the growing heroin problem in Atlanta.
- The city is in the interviewing stages of hiring a gang coordinator.
Motion to approve December minutes: passed unanimously.