Thursday, August 12, 2021
Call to Order
Announcements (5 minutes): Voting rights (3 meetings, or $10 membership). Vacant Committee Chairs and Neighborhood Representatives: Public Safety, Social, Glenwood Park, North Ormewood Park, Ormewood Park, Woodland Hills.
Zone 6 (5 minutes): Lt Jesse Webb. Continued trends of auto larcenies involving handguns on the rise – Citywide and in Zone 6.
City/State/School/Other Elected Officials (5 minutes): CoA Department of Public Works Solid Waste Service Challenges. Commissioner Wiggins, Department of Public Works, will be attending NPU-W General Body Meeting on August 26 to answer questions and respond to comments regarding Solid Waste Services. Add your questions/comments to the following Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bHIGjnUQJ-FJHa-OKaiXBxC1_b3waBY_gwIqXnK2Gok/edit?usp=sharing.
Special Guests (5 minutes per): ***Tentative*** Atlanta BeltLine Subarea 4 Master Plan Update.
Beautification (5 minutes): Update from Working Group on future of Red’s Farm.
Communication (2 minutes) – Like SAND on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter. Please submit any ideas for the newsletter to us. Southeast Political Club is welcoming new participants. Not affiliated with SAND. First meeting is on August 26. Four candidates for City Council will be joining at the next meeting to discuss the election. Send Paul Bolster an email at Bolsterp@bellsouth.net with questions or interest in joining.
Treasurer (5 minutes): Amazon Smile / Kroger Rewards. Trolley’s available for $45 unpainted, $60 painted.
Education/Schools (5 minutes)
- Maynard Jackson PTSA is looking for business sponsors for the 2021-22 school year. Sponsorships start at $100.
- APS offering COVID-19 vaccinations at middle and high schools beginning August 9. Persons aged 12-15 may participate with parent-signed consent form. The first dose will be administered the week of August 9, and the second dose will be given the week of Aug. 30. The event will be held from 10:00am to 3:30pm, depending on the time based on each school’s selection.
- SAND: Motion to support sending letter to APS to recommend requiring all eligible students and staff receive COVID-19 vaccination or submit to weekly COVID-19 testing (pending parental consent) passes 14Y – 0N – 4A.
Public Safety (5 minutes)
- Renewed mask mandate for indoors for City of Atlanta
- Atlanta Police Citizens Academy will begin on Tuesday, September 7.
- The Academy will be eight consecutive Tuesday’s from 6:00pm – 9:00pm. The deadline to apply is Monday, August 23. Completed applications can be emailed to Elizabeth Espy: email@example.com.
- APD Crime Map Update
- Can create own crime maps and generate maps that show geographic distribution of Part 1 crimes in Atlanta (any Zone). NPU-W PSC working with Zone 6 to improve the crimes displayed and offer ability to filter for specific crimes (ex. auto larcenies, etc.) and time periods. Crime maps resources can be found via the documents section of the NPU-W website (https://cityofatlantanpu-w.org) under ‘July’ folder à ‘Public Safety’ folder à ‘APD Crime Map’ folder.
- SAND Resolution in regards to City of Atlanta Ordinance 21-O-0367 (APF proposed public safety training facility at the site of the former Honor Farm aka Old Atlanta Prison Farm).
- Call-in number for Full Committee: 404-330-6001
- Call-in number for Committee on Council: 404-330-6069
- Call-in number for listening: 877-579-6743
- ID# 831 599 1256
- Call-in time between 4:00pm – 7:00pm, Sunday, August 15
- SAND Motion: Motion to deny support of writing a letter of support against the use of the former Honor Farm aka Old Atlanta Prison Farm for proposed APD safety training facility fails 4Y – 6N – 6A
- SAND Motion: Motion to draft letter in opposition of the use of former Honor Farm for APD proposed safety training facility passes 7Y – 4N – 7A.
Land Use and Zoning (LU&Z) (5 minutes per)
- V-21-169 / 121 Knott Street: Applicant seeks a variance from the zoning regulation to reduce the required half-depth front yard from 17.5 feet to 13 feet in order to construct a new single-family residence. LUZ: Motion to vote to support 11-3-2.
- SAND: Approved LUZ motion to recommend approval 13Y – 0N – 6A.
- Z-21-074 / Text Amendment – An Ordinance by Councilmember Amir Farokhi. An ordinance to amend certain provisions of the zoning ordinance for the MR-MU (multi-family residential multi-unit) district, minimum residential parking requirements, and Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs); to promote a diversity of housing options and increase housing affordability; and for other purposes. LUZ: Review of legislation; (2) working sessions will be scheduled in August & September to allow for additional assessment. NPU-W has scheduled the August session in concert with NPU-V leadership on Saturday, August 21, 11:00am to 12:30pm via Zoom (link TBD).
- CDP-21-043 / CDP Amendment – An Ordinance by CM Amir Farokhi – An ordinance to amend the land use element of the CDP to designate certain properties within one half-mile of high-capacity transit stations to Medium Density Residential (MDR); to promote a diversity of housing options and increase housing affordability; and for other purposes. LUZ: Review of legislation; (2) working sessions will be scheduled in August & September to allow for additional assessment. NPU-W has scheduled the August session in concert with NPU-V leadership on Saturday, August 21, 11:00am to 12:30pm via Zoom (link TBD).
- The Quarry Project Community Engagement Meetings
- MEETING #2 SATURDAY, AUGUST 14; 11:00am – 1:00pm
- MEETING #3 THURSDAY, AUGUST 26; 6:00pm – 8:00pm
- MEETING #4 SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 11; 11:00am – 2:00pm
- City of Atlanta 2021 Comprehensive Development Plan: The 2nd draft is now available online and in 15 Atlanta libraries and community recreation centers. Updates to this draft include feedback and comments from public hearings, meetings, and emails to date. You can view the draft #2 of the plan and submit a public comment for Plan A from July 27 through August 27. Visit www.atlcitydesign.com/2021-cdp to view the draft’s online version and find locations to check out a hard copy version. As a reminder, these are upcoming meetings for Plan A:
- September 7: 1st City Council Full Meeting Legislation Reading (1:00pm)
- September 14: 2nd CD/HS Committee Meeting (1:30pm)
- September 20: 2nd City Council Meeting Legislation Reading (1:00pm)
- September 27: Final Virtual CD/HS Public Hearing for Plan A (6:00pm)
- September 28: 3rd CD/HS Committee Meeting (1:30pm)
- October 4 or October 18: Final City Council Full Meeting and Plan – A Adoption Reading (1:00pm)
- If you have any questions or need additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.