The Porch Press

Serving the Historic Atlanta Neighborhoods of Grant Park, Ormewood Park, East Atlanta, Benteen Park, Glenwood Park, and environs

GPNA Monthly Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Call to Order–7:30pm.

President’s Introduction.

Nomination for 2022 steering committee close at end of meeting. Introductions of Nominees. Steering Committee election will happen at the November meeting. Positions with no nominees (yet): Economic development chair, Fundraising chair, Philanthropic chair.

Grant Request from FFFridge for $40 per month.

Get involved in the Grant Park Neighborhood Association event reminder: Wednesday, November .3. Drop in between 6:30pm-8:00pm, 817 Cherokee Avenue. Porch andc front yard gathering. GPNA is seeking leaders for new and vacant positions as we grow and seek to support our neighborhood. We want to bring back the Mothball, Tour of Homes, and our community gatherings, as well as improve our website, support networks, and fundraising. We invite neighbors, old and new, to join us to see where you fit in. Current steering committee members will be present. 

Roles that GPNA is seeking:

  • Copywriter
  • Website support
  • Local business liaison 
  • Fundraiser 
  • Social media manager 
  • Event planners
  • Mothball
  • Tour of homes/gardens
  • Community gathering coordinator
  • Long-term/legacy neighbor support liaison
  • New neighbor outreach coordinator
  • School Liaison
  • Safe sidewalks advocate 

Unfinished Business

Public Official Update: Mitsah Henry from Commissioner Arrington’s office addresses the body. Reminder about Early Voting: Fulton County Early voting information: www.fultoncountyga.gov/inside-fulton-county/fulton-county-departments/registration-and-elections/early-voting-locations.

Commissioner Arrington’s office is taking clothing items for people experiencing homelessness over the holiday, and they’ll also be taking donations for toys on behalf of incarcerated fathers during the holidays. Contact info: email Mitsah.henry@fultoncountyga.gov & phone 404.613.0203.

Special Orders

Item One – Public Safety: Zone 6 Update – Lt. Carroll takes questions from the body.

7 Conditions for PAD calls – FROM THE 911 CENTER. 311 agents are City of Atlanta employees and received extensive training as well as work hand and hand with APD on responses to calls. If the 311 Supportive Services team receives an emergency and/or crisis call, they would transfer the call immediately to 911. The entire 311 call center does not take PAD referrals; there is a special team dedicated for all Supportive Services referrals which includes PAD referrals. The non-emergency quality of life concerns that are eligible for community referrals are below:

  • Disturbance (such as someone yelling outside a business or blocking traffic) 
  • Welfare (such as someone asking for food or help) 
  • Mental Health (such as someone who appears disoriented, erratic, or is talking to themselves) 
  • Basic Needs (such as someone in need of shelter and sleeping outside) 
  • Substance Use (drugs, OTC medication and/or alcohol abuse) 
  • Public Health (such as defecating and/or urinating on the street or eating out of the trash can) 
  • Public Indecency (such as bathing in public restrooms or sexual activity in a public place) 
  • Discussion: concerns with parking inside Grant Park during events 

Chris Newman, public safety chair, presents a recommendation from GPNA, with the support of the Grant Park Conservancy that there be no parking inside of the park & instead use the Gateway Parking Deck; that the gates are monitored for vendors coming in and out; that the monitors and manager of the Grant Park pool be allowed to be parked inside the park; that no lifeguards be able to park inside the park; that the Grant Park Conservancy will be talking about this at their next meeting. Chris will bring these recommendations to the NPU.

Item Two – Land Use & Zoning: Pro-active rezoning update – Z-21-73 – An Ordinance by Councilmember Amir R. Farokhi to rezone certain properties within one half mile walking distance of high-capacity transit stations from various low-density residential zoning codes to multifamily residential multi-use (NR-MU); to promote a variety of housing options and increase affordability near transit; and for other purposes. City Planning Commissioner Tim Keane to return for our October 28 regular meeting to continue dialogue with affected neighbors. All affected neighbors will be re-notified for this meeting Hybrid meeting planned to be at the Atlanta Preservation Center, 327 St Paul Avenue. Doug Young, from Department of City Planning presents on the Historic Designation of the Ormewood Bridge Z-21-087. This protects bridge from demolition in the future. Still allows for rail and transit along the corridor. They’ve partnered with the Beltline Inc. on this. The GPNA body votes to support this historic designation.

Item Three – Transportation: Reminder about Beltline Subarea 4 meetings

Thursday, November 4 – virtual public meeting – 6:30pm-8:00pm. Webinar ID: 834 7780 8720. Questions should be submitted by Wednesday, November 3 at 12:00pm to: questions@atlbeltline.org.

Thursday, January 20 – virtual public meeting – 6:30pm-8:00pm. Webinar ID: 842 4625 0666. Questions should be submitted by Wednesday, January 19 at 12:00pm to: questions@atlbeltline.org.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Community members in the Southeast Study Group, which includes residents of the Reynoldstown, Cabbagetown, Glenwood Park, Grant Park, Edgewood, and Ormewood Park neighborhoods along the Atlanta BeltLine.

COMMUNITY CONTACT: For more information, please contact engage@atlbeltline.org or call 404-477-3574.

RSVP: www.beltline.org/meetings

Item Four – Technology: Zoom Registration for GPNA General Meetings will start in November to help us keep attendance records

Item Five – Community Items: The body voted to approve a GPNA letter of support for Grant Park Conservancy for a grant from Park Pride to finish up the first phase of the Erskine Fountain Restoration.

Approval of the September Minutes

New Business

Adjournment – 8:30pm.

GPNA Officers and Steering Committee – Online Directory: Visit www.gpna.org/calendar for committee meetings and Zoom links.

Laura Keen – President

<open> – Vice President

Catherine Manci – Secretary

Evelyn Pannell – Treasurer

<open> – Fundraising Chair

Skyler Hassan – Land Use & Zoning

Chris Newman – Public Safety Committee Chair

Paul Simo – Homes & History Committee Chair

Stephanie Taylor Warner – Technology & Communications Chair

Phillip Kelly – Transportation Chair