SAND Full Body Meeting
Thursday, April 12, 2018
These minutes have not yet been approved by the SAND body and will be approved at the May 10, 2018 Full Body Meeting.
Call to order Welcome new residents and guests (7:36pm)
Introduce SAND Governing Board
- Seeking the following positions to be filled: Beautification & Communications Chairs, Woodland Hills Neighborhood Rep
- SAND Sponsorship Option – only $50/year for businesses!
Zone 6 – Lt. Ryan… city continuing to recovery from ransomware attack. Watch your financials for anything suspicious. Shred and destroy all sensitive information. Lt. Ryan is behind on emails due to the attack. Auto theft and package theft continues to increase and will with the good weather. Paintball shootouts happening across the city; don’t approach, call 911. DON’T LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR… including firearms! Contact Lt. Ryan at 404-371-5002 / email@example.com.
City/State/School/Other Elected Officials
- Leslie Grant, APS Board of Education District 1 – Two community coffees a month, first Friday & Saturday. Google “Leslie Grant Coffee” for locations and times. Leslie is also chair of the APS’s audit committee which ensures all policies and procedures are being followed. Working to establish a better two way communication platform, should launch in fall called “Lets Talk.” King Middle School has a program for the community to read to kids, please sign up and join! Forming a 501c3 foundation called the Maynard Jackson Cluster to raise money from those within the neighborhood to fund projects, such as a stadium in this side of town.
- Cheryl Bennett w/Carla Smiths office – Recovering from ransomware, office only has one laptop for all members in the office right now. Delay in responding to emails as a result. Stream between Walker & E. Confederate will be cleaned up by DPW within two weeks on a Saturday, beaver will be looked out for. April 21, Carla’s annual recycling event at CHaRM (1110 Hill Street) at no cost regardless of what you bring (so long as CHaRM accepts it). You can reach Cheryl at 404-330-6039.
Bylaw Update – Adoption of revised bylaws. Motion to approve the revised bylaws…. second…. All in favor 19, opposed 1, 0 abstention.
- Need a beautification chair!
- Adoption of Eastwood-Emerson Triangle | Nathan has requested from the city that SAND adopt this small parcel, awaiting response from the city.
- Need a communication chair!
GDOT Pedestrian Safety Action Plan – Bi-monthly meeting was last week; a few takeaways include number of pedestrian accidents over a four-year period (80% injury rate). Majority of accidents are in car-oriented zones in the state. Expansion of RRFB’s (rectangular rapid flashing beacon) for pedestrian crosswalks in the city (state routes only). Action plan is on the SAND website under transportation.
- Beltline Update | Study Group #2 Saturday, April 14 at 10:00am | Location: Focused Community Strategies Community Room behind Carver Market (1297 McDonough Boulevard). Beltline has put out a satisfaction survey, please complete this. We posted on our website and via email blast.
- Bill Kennedy Way Subcommittee – Subcommittee has not met since last week, delayed in relation to the city cyberattack.
- Sidewalks are a hot topic. Want to help? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Amazon Smile / Kroger Rewards
- Trolley’s available for $40 unpainted, $50 painted
- Business Sponsorships, $50/year. SAND is a 501(C)3 tax-deductible organization
- Benteen Elementary School Dual Language Immersion Program – Benteen will go half day English half day Spanish starting Fall 2018. Studies show children learn faster in these programs and will start in Kindergarten and then expand.
- Rezoning Proposal / Join Go Team Meetings – Benteen, Parkside, & BAMOA possible redistricting.
Social – Trolley Painting Event – working on a plan to have a trolley painting party soon, more details will be provided soon.
- DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR!
- 400 vacancies within the police department due to stagnant salaries. Overtime is moved from zone-to-zone chasing crime (not preventing). 176 vacancies within the Fire Department, there is a new fire chief. Station 10 needs eight new firefighters. Station 13 and Station 2 also cover portions of SAND
- Trolley Patrol – Currently funded for 3 – 5 hours a day for patrols, looking to secure additional funding for increased patrols around the holidays when there is an increase in crime. You can buy Ring products through Trolley Patrol at a $25 discount and 25% of the purchase goes to TP. Check this out on their website.
Land Use and Zoning (LU&Z) | No items to vote on this month.
Patria Cocina – Roxana Aguirre | El Mexicano expansion coming to The Beacon
Old Atlanta Prison Farm – Scott Petersen – Abandoned land that would make a great park. www.savetheoldatlantaprisonfarm.org. Facebook: Save the Old Atlanta Prison Farm
Approval of March 2018 Meeting Minutes Motion to approve minutes passes unanimously.