SAND Meeting Minutes
Thursday, February 9, 2017
Zone 6 Update
City/State/School/Other Elected Officials
Announcement- Imagine Memorial Drive Tuesday, Feburary 21 at Drew Charter Elementary School 6:00pm.
$40,000 dollars awarded for Imagine Memorial Drive.
- Need Officer. Positions: Vice President (voted unanimously for Johanna Smith), Treasurer, Secretary
Committee Chair Openings: Social, Webmaster, Communication, Public Safety, create a new committee
Neighborhood Representatives: Glenwood Park, Ormewood Park, North Ormewood, Woodland Hills, BOHO, Benteen, McDonough-Guice
Approval of January Meeting Minutes (vote)
- ANCS Safe Route to Schools (GDOT PID 0010395) has been included in this month’s GDOT “letting.” Letting is GDOT parlance for the bid process. According to the project manager, the bid proposal opening is scheduled for next Friday and the Notice to Proceed is anticipated for April.
- A recommendation to support council legislation authorizing the Mayor’s Chief Operating Officer to study the formation of a new City Deptartment of Transportation was approved and letters indicating same will be forwarded to the appropriate COA officials.
- Dan Murphy gave a report on the bike share program which is receiving a shipment of 500 new bikes and will be opening 50-70 new bike share stations. Potential SE Atlanta locations were discussed. Local developers may be interested in accommodating related facilities.
- Discussion of a measure regarding a process for allowing residents to petition the COA for voluntarily lowering local speed limits was tabled.
- Be sure to renew your membership for 2017.
- Merging Benteen and DH Stanton ES, closing Whitefoord; APS School Board will vote on this in early March.
Beautification/ Neighborhood Clean-up
- Looking for a Beautification chair
Land Use and Zoning (LU&Z) (vote)
V-16-340 731 Moreland Ave SE– construction looks to start around September/October
- This is the one for the curb cut on Moreland that we heard but did not vote on in January
- Site plan has been revised to a right turn exit only onto Moreland, with a raised curb & stamped concrete paving within the sidewalk width of the curb cut, in order to express the continuation of the pedestrian path.
- LUZ Committee voted 7-0-1 to support based on the following condition:
- Support is based upon site plan dated February 8, 2017 (note: they revised the site plan yesterday based upon the agreed conditions discussed at LUZ), which shows a right turn exit only onto Moreland Ave. with a raised curb & scored, stamped concrete paving for the full 8-ft. sidewalk width within the of the curb cut, to express the continuation of the 8-ft. wide pedestrian path.
- Motion PASSED SAND Unanimously
V-17-13 703 Vernon Ave SE
- Applicant seeks a variance to reduce the half-depth front yard setback from 17.5 ft. to 5 ft., to allow for an addition to a single family residence.
- Applicant contacted NPU-W LUZ committee last week to express their intent to withdraw the application. No explanation was given.
- As we have received nothing official from the COA to confirm the withdrawal of this application, the motion to defer or deny passed unanimously.
- Motion to defer or deny passed SAND unanimously.
Meeting adjourned at 7:57pm.