By Henry Bryant with photos by Charlie Crawford
Separated into two parts and rolled onto metal tubes, the Battle of Atlanta painting was moved from Grant Park to a new building at the Atlanta History Center on February 9 and 10. Projected full opening of the new facility is Fall 2018. Work on the painting began in 1885 with sketches made from a 40 ft tower located on Moreland Avenue behind what has become the Best Buy at Edgewood Retail District. The huge drum shaped Cyclorama painting after touring the country as “Logan’s Great Battle” (aka “Logan’s Victorious Charge at Atlanta”), took up permanent residence in 1882 in a frame building beside Edgewood Avenue in Inman Park near where it was first sketched out. It moved to Grant Park in 1898. ZooAtlanta will take possession of the old building and grounds soon.